Saturday, December 11, 2010

Whereforartthou, Wesley?

In prison.....that's where.

Dude....that's just wrong.

You close fans that know me well know that I lead a double life as a martial arts instructor.  When I'm not being a smartypants, I actually run a karate school.  It's largely a labor of love for me as I enjoy sharing the knowledge I've learned over the years.


Please allow me to impart some of that knowledge unto you......pay your freaking taxes.


Y'know, when I was younger (particularly in the 90's), I remember that Wesley Snipes made some of the coolest action flicks on this side of Steven Seagal.  Remember "Passenger 47"?  I  don't know what was more fun about that movie, the nonstop butt-kicking a'la Wesley or the "jazzy black guy hero" music in the background that permeated every single scene.  Watch his movies and you'll notice that his one-liners rival those of the Governator himself (I'd rattle off a few but most of them include curse words).  Consider the fact that even today you rarely see such a celebrated African American hero in cinema, much less one that's actually versed in more than one martial art.  The guy has definitely been an influence in my own journey....
Passenger 57?  No, Inmate #5701.


...well, up until now.....


I can't help but think back to the movie that he made called "Undefeated" when he played the part of a jailed boxer.....I wonder if there will be another chapter of that movie?  Heaven forbid one of the other inmates remembers the part he played in "To Wong Foo......".  Yikes.
I hope the other inmates don't see this.....


Anyway, this whole experience, even watching from afar, has certainly scared the beejezus out of me.  I mean, there are people out there that actually don't pay taxes and think they can get away with it?  The sheer thought of "skipping a tax year" gives me the shivers.  I couldn't imagine getting a bill from Uncle Sam for a couple million bucks like he did.  Holy crap. I think I'd curl up into the fetal position and suck my thumb. From what I can gather though, Mr. Snipes spent about 3 years arguing the point with the feds.  I can think of better ways to plead your case, kind sir.  I kind equate this to catching my 4 year old son with his hand in the cookie jar and him blaming me for making the cookies.  It don't add up.
Looks like the vampires finally won....and they work for the government.....
So anyway, my homage to one of the great African American martial arts heroes will have to stop short of 2010 when 'ol boy went to jail and now eats burritos for dinner on a regular basis. 


....maybe we'll get another Blade movie out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment